Take it from Sandy and Danny, nothing is quite like summer for lovin’ and nothing is more romantic than a picnic, a blanket, and some shade under a tree in an exclusive location found by bikes.
Pulling off that romantic summer picnic, however, can require a bit more thought and planning, but we got you covered! Follow our tips for a romantic picnic by bike for two and you will be off snuggling up to your honey in no time!
Romantic Picnic by Bike Tips:
1. Panniers are everything!
There is nothing worse than getting halfway to your destination and dropping all of your food because your items were not securely stored on your bike.
There are many ways to carry things by bike securely. You can use a front basket, a side pannier, or saddle bag, or even utilize a bungee cord and a milk crate on the back of your bike.
If you don’t have any of those items, a backpack will work as well!
Here is a great link that shows you how to attach a milk crate to your bike here.
There are a lot of items that spoil quickly, so while packing your picnic food keep in mind how long your bike ride will take and plan to avoid foods that contain mayonnaise, or other quickly spoiling items. Instead opt for items that can be easily stored in Tupperware and are enjoyable at room temperature.
Some great food options include:
- Sandwiches that do not contain mayonnaise (use pesto or some other oil-based dressing instead to receive that added flavor.)
- Cheese and crackers. A soft spreadable cheese with crackers is a great snack to munch on while enjoying your time together.
- Watermelon. This fun fruit can easily be prepped beforehand and can help keep you hydrated in the summer heat.
- An assortment of veggies. Carrots, cherry tomatoes, celery with peanut butter, and other vegetables are great munchable items with little mess, making them a great and healthy option for any picnic.
- Drinks Whether you choose a stronger sort of drink or something more PG rated, like lemonade, make sure that you store your beverages in a thermal container with plenty of ice to keep it cold when you arrive at your picnic destination.
- Dessert. What is a picnic without a great dessert! A dessert in a jar makes an excellent option for a romantic picnic. Just be sure to bring two sets of silverware!
Here is a link to some great desserts in a jar ideas from Babble here.
3. Don’t forget these items!
While headed off to a picnic it is very easy to just pack your food and feel ready to go, but there are some other items to bring that will make your picnic a day to remember and not regret.
- A blanket. Somehow this item just seems to get forgotten in the hustle and bustle of packing, but this is one thing that you do not want to neglect to bring. Nothing kills the mood more than trying to avoid sitting on all the dirt, roots, and other items on the ground…. while nothing except maybe…
- Bug Spray. Bugs can quickly drive a couple of picnickers running. Prepare for bugs even if you don’t think there will be any. You really never know with these pesky insects.
- Sunscreen A great part of going to a picnic is enjoying the sun and warmth of summer, but unless you are careful you could be paying for it tomorrow with nasty sunburn. Be safe rather than sorry and at least apply some SPF before you head out.
- Cards/Entertainment. You get to your picnic. You eat… than what? Don’t get caught with an awkward silence or boredom. Bring some cards, reading materials, a Frisbee, football, crossword puzzles or something to keep you both enjoying your time out in nature together.
- A camera. A picnic is a true “Kodak” moment. Don’t lose the in-color memories by forgetting a camera or phone!
- Glasses/Silverware /Napkins. Don’t forget to bring the essentials for eating your picnic food. A bottle of wine is a bit less romantic if you are both drinking from the bottle… that being said…
- Wine bottle opener. Unless you are a ninja master, that cork is going nowhere without one of these handy devices.
- Bike lights. If you stay out to watch the sunset, it is important to make sure your ride home is as safe as your ride there. Add bike lights so that you and your sig-other stay visible.
Remember a romantic picnic can be whatever you want it to be and should be fun, so don’t stress out too much about the details. If you follow these tips you picnic should go off without a hitch and you can spend more time enjoying the company at your side.
If you have any other tips or tricks for a couple going on a picnic by bike, please comment below!