While it might be the last accessory you think about when prepping for your workout, your sock choice may just make or break your sweat session. Because when you work out, you sweat. When you sweat, your clothing – including your socks – starts to chafe. On your feet, that rubbing can turn into painful and sometimes workout-inhibiting blisters and calluses. But there’s one simple step that can cut down on blister risk: sock choice.
Sock material is key. For example, Bombas uses high quality, long-staple pima cotton that stays warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and keeps its shape and cushiness after every wash. The material is naturally breathable, with anti-microbial tendencies – so your feet won’t sweat and smell – no matter your activity – running, biking, hiking or weight lifting. Read on for some super fresh sock tips.
What to look for when sock shopping:
- Cotton blend or synthetic material – Choose socks with a special cotton blend for the ultimate in breathability.
- Reinforced footbed – your forefoot gets a lot of use during a workout, no matter what your activity. Look for a sock that provides a little added support, but not bulk, in this area for increased comfort.
- Stay-put technology – calf socks should stay where they’re supposed to: right at your calves. Make sure there is enough tension and elasticity that they stay up without being uncomfortably tight.
- Blister prevention – no-show and ankle socks are great for running, walking and gym activity but you want to make sure your ankles are protected from rubbing against your shoes. Look for socks that offer a little extra cushion that sits right where your shoe hits your leg.
- Arch support – your socks should offer a little extra structure around your arch to help support tired feet.
- Seamless – raised seams in your socks are annoying and can get painful. Make sure you find socks that don’t have any blister-producing seams across the toes. Need a sock that provides all of the above and more? Check out Bombas: these socks are specially designed to keep up with the most vigorous of workouts. Not only that, but for every sock you purchase, you’re also giving back. Socks are the number 1 most requested clothing item at homeless shelters. Bombas works with shelters, non-profits and individuals dedicated to helping the homeless, in-need or at-risk communities. For each sock you purchase, we donates specially engineered socks to those who need them most. To learn more about Bombas, visit bombas.com or find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.